Saturday, November 27, 2004

Philosophy of Education by Nel Noddings (Elle)

Thinking Culture

Elle Wolterbeek
November 27, 2004
Book Review #5
HUM501

Philosophy of Education
By Nel Noddings
Westview Press, Boulder, Colorado, 1998.

This book is an introduction to the philosophy of education. As an instructor, I felt that this book was fascinating and highly informative. I read this book while reading Applied Grammatology by Gregory Ulmer and found it helpful in my understanding of the more complex concepts that Ulmer presented. That isn’t to say that this text is not complex, but the organization is more conducive to forming a foundational knowledge of educational philosophy. I highly recommend this text to anyone who is interested in education, as it has been extremely thought-provoking and insightful, as well as informative, for me.

In this text, Noddings covers the philosophy of education historically, moving from Socrates and Plato to Aristotle, Rosseau, Pestalozzi, Herbart, Froebel, and on to Dewey, and on to traditional philosophies which have informed and influenced education over the past centuries. Moving from continental philosophy, epistemology and education, ethics and moral education, social and political philosophy and feminism, philosophy and education, this text covers a great deal of information. Here is a limited discussion of each chapter and the main points that I believe it would be beneficial for others to be aware of (although the people in this class probably already know most of this).

Chapter One: Philosophy of Education Before the Twentieth Century
This chapter addresses such questions as:
• What should be the aims or purposes of education?
• Who should be educated?
• Should education differ according to natural interests and abilities?
• What role should the state play in education?
• Who should be educated?
Looking at Socrates and Plato, particularly in regards to the dialogue from Republic, book I, the author presents their educational philosophies. The Socratic method is regarded as more of a method of learning or inquiry than a method of thinking. Socrates tended to ask the great questions of life, such as, “What is truth? What does it mean to know something?” He did not charge his students and met with them in public places or private homes. They were free to come and go at will and were not forced to answer questions, as his method of inquiry was voluntary. Plato, on the other hand, believed that students should be educated according to their capacities and that not all students should have exactly the same education. This belief was admired by John Dewey, although the remainder of the chapter is focused primarily on the arguments others (such as Jane Roland Martin) have with the philosophies of these two men.

Aristotle, like Plato, believed that people should be educated or trained for their appropriate place in life. He believed that each person developed various skills particular to their tasks and functions and should be trained for the roles they would fill, with their ability and excellences (skills) in mind. Rousseau believed strongly in free will and in different education for boys and girls. The majority of Rosseau’s best ideas were intended for boys, although some have been integrated for both; such as the idea that children are naturally good, that the task of teachers is to preserve and encourage this goodness while facilitating the growth of various competencies required for a successful adult life. Rosseau had a great influence on Pestalozzi, Herbart and Froebel, who are also discussed.

Chapter 2: The Philosophical and Educational Thought of John Dewey
Since Darren discussed John Dewey in class, I have been looking forward to learning about him. I found this chapter particularly interesting, not only because I was excited to learn about Dewey, but also because I found his ideas and thoughts quite informative and interesting!

John Dewey believed that education is synonymous with growth and growth is one of his most common metaphors in his writings (his bibliography is 150 pages long!). Dewey believed that growth (education) is its own end and that it is not always necessary to have an aim for educational growth and experience other than the experience and growth itself. Dewey believed that experiences are educative only if they produce growth-if, that is, students leave the experience more capable or interested in engaging in new experiences. Ultimately, Dewey believed that the aim of education is more education, and that education is both an end and a means.

Chapter 3: Analytic Philosophy
This chapter focuses on Bertrand Russell and his version of analytical philosophy. Russell believed that mind and matter are two distinctly different things and that both material entities (objects) and products of mind (language and mathematical expressions) can be analyzed into their basic elements and relations. Part of the analytic philosopher’s task is to analyze language and mathematics. This depends on the idea that reality is analyzable and that every configuration of language points to something in that reality. The 1950s, ‘60s, and 70’s were primarily devoted to the analysis of educational language and concepts and this ended in many philosophers believing that it is not worthwhile to develop a philosophy of education that is coherent and consistent.

Chapter 4: Continental Philosophy
This chapter addresses the role of Existentialism, Phenomenology, Critical Theory, Hermeneutics, and Postmodernism in education. I am not going to summarize each of these because everyone else in the class already knew all of these terms, however this helped me to put my knowledge in each of these areas into the context of education, which was highly relevant and very much informed my understanding of these concepts, once I had the context.

Chapter 5: Epistemology and Education
Noddings presents this chapter with an introduction to Epistemology and why it is important for educators to understand before discussing the primary questions of educators and the responses of philosophers. These questions are:
• Should we insist that the material we teach be true, and if so, what do we mean by “true”?
• When should we credit a student with knowing-what does it mean to know?
• Should we make all knowledge accessible to all students?

Chapter 6: Philosophy of Social Science and Educational Research
This chapter introduces social science and educational research, providing an overview of the debate in philosophy of science over the nature of knowledge, the quantitative and qualitative research in education, and application of the thinking of these two questions in the case of educational research.

Chapter 7: Ethics and Moral Education
This was one of the most interesting chapters of the book. Noddings presents the views of philosophers on moral and ethical education and then reviews current educational practices with commentary on what she believes Plato, Socrates and Aristotle would have to say about current practices. She also reviews the criticism surrounding ethics and morals in education and the role of pre-enlightenment ethics in our current educational setting. Also covered are Enlightenment Ethics, Utilitarianism, Deweyan Ethics, Moral Education, and Cognative Developmentism.

Chapter 8: Social and Political Philosophy
The problems of social and political philosophy are presented with references to Socrates (primarily, although other philosophers are discussed) and the current role of liberalism-particularly individualistic liberalism-in this chapter. Noddings suggests that the problems presented are primarily problems in Western education. This uses Kant’s notion of the individual and considers the role of ethics in current educational settings, suggesting that the church, community and educational settings are no longer the “appropriate” place for educating and discussing ethical and moral attitudes. Noddings believes that these are the only places for such instruction and discussion and talks about the role of morality and ethics in our society and the role of the individual as a moral and ethical member of society. She presents this debate extremely well, and ties the entire book together here by covering each area again in regards to the philosophy of education and morality and how inseparable these are.

Uses for the text:
This text is extremely useful for me for a variety of reasons. Again, as did Ulmer’s text, this text provided me with a foundation of knowledge on the philosophy of education. It also provided a context for a great deal of other information I’ve read about these philosophers. Before reading these books, I was not particularly interested in philosophy because it seemed rather dense and not particularly applicable for my situation and interests- however, I see now that I was wrong. Philosophy is directly related to education! This book had discussion questions at the end of each chapter which I reviewed and this, as well, ensured my understanding of the reading as well as its uses in my life and in my career. This book provided a variety of wonderful ideas and thoughts, and made me think a great deal about my own education and my beliefs about what a perfect education would be like.

39 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great tip especially to those new to the blogosphere.
Brief but very accurate info… Thank you for sharing this one.
A must read post!

Check out my web page: next page

March 6, 2013 at 12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure exactly why but this site is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my end? I'll
check back later and see if the problem still exists.

my blog post - know more

March 6, 2013 at 12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnificent website. A lot of helpful information here.
I am sending it to some pals ans additionally sharing in delicious.
And obviously, thank you on your sweat!

Look into my web page: move next

March 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If some one wants expert view concerning running a blog afterward i suggest him/her to visit this webpage, Keep up the nice work.



My webpage :: next page
My page: click

March 6, 2013 at 1:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My partner and I stumbled over here from a different web address and thought I
may as well check things out. I like what I see so now i
am following you. Look forward to looking at your web page yet again.


Here is my site :: click here
My web page :: more

March 6, 2013 at 2:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got this site from my friend who informed me regarding
this web site and at the moment this time I am visiting this website and reading very informative articles at this time.


My site :: view next

March 6, 2013 at 3:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, after reading this remarkable piece of writing i am too cheerful to share my knowledge here with mates.


my web-site ... know more

March 19, 2013 at 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello friends, how is everything, and what you wish for to say regarding this article, in my view its
truly awesome in favor of me.

Here is my site - next

March 19, 2013 at 11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya! I know this is sort of off-topic however I had to ask.
Does running a well-established website such as yours take a lot of work?
I am brand new to operating a blog but I do write in my diary daily.
I'd like to start a blog so I can easily share my experience and thoughts online. Please let me know if you have any kind of ideas or tips for new aspiring bloggers. Appreciate it!

Here is my blog ... move next

March 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not drop many responses, but after reading through a
bunch of remarks on this page "Philosophy of Education by Nel Noddings (Elle)".
I actually do have a couple of questions for you if you tend not to
mind. Could it be simply me or does it seem like a few of these remarks
look as if they are written by brain dead visitors?

:-P And, if you are writing at additional places, I would like
to keep up with anything new you have to post. Would you make a list of all of all your shared sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?


my web site ... more

March 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I am so happy I found your blog, I really found you
by mistake, while I was browsing on Google for
something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say many thanks
for a marvelous post and a all round thrilling blog
(I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to read through it all at the minute but I have saved it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the great work.

Here is my homepage: more about

March 19, 2013 at 7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At this moment I am ready to do my breakfast, afterward having my breakfast coming again to read other news.


my web site ... more about

March 19, 2013 at 7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always spent my half an hour to read this web site's articles every day along with a cup of coffee.

My site view more about

March 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to be suggested this website via my
cousin. I am no longer sure whether or not this put up is
written via him as nobody else recognize such distinctive about
my trouble. You're wonderful! Thanks!

Here is my page - loaddskf

March 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good information. Lucky me I recently found your website by accident (stumbleupon).

I've saved as a favorite for later!

my blog post wheelbarrows

March 25, 2013 at 11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, marvelous blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?

you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is excellent, as well
as the content!

Here is my blog post: rekeying

March 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My partner and I absolutely love your blog and find almost
all of your post's to be precisely what I'm looking for.
Would you offer guest writers to write content for you personally?
I wouldn't mind publishing a post or elaborating on most of the subjects you write with regards to here. Again, awesome blog!

My webpage :: twenty

March 25, 2013 at 1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I'm impressed! Extremely useful information specifically the last part :) I care for such information much. I was looking for this certain info for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.

Feel free to visit my web-site ... students

March 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dear, are you truly visiting this web page regularly, if so
after that you will absolutely get nice knowledge.



Also visit my webpage; pertain

March 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the web the easiest thing to be aware of.
I say to you, I certainly get irked while people think about worries that they just do
not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing
without having side-effects , people could take a
signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

My web site manglares

March 25, 2013 at 7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

excellent points altogether, you just won a new reader.
What could you suggest about your put up that you
simply made a few days in the past? Any certain?

my site; clown

March 25, 2013 at 8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrific article! That is the kind of info that should be shared across the internet.
Shame on Google for not positioning this post higher!
Come on over and visit my website . Thanks =)

Also visit my web blog ... valores

March 25, 2013 at 9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not even understand how I ended up right here, however I thought this post used to
be good. I do not know who you might be but definitely you're going to a famous blogger should you are not already. Cheers!

Have a look at my web-site ... latomia

March 25, 2013 at 9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
Did you design this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?
Plz answer back as I'm looking to design my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. appreciate it

Also visit my web site snodgrass

April 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing! Its in fact awesome paragraph, I have got much clear idea regarding from this post.


my blog - ra dickey

May 17, 2013 at 6:55 AM  
Anonymous crystal x asli said...

10 thumb interesting information for you! harga crystal x asli Here we have a solution on how you take care of an important organ in the female body. Detailed information you can visit jual crystal x

June 25, 2014 at 6:49 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

christian louboutin shoes, louis vuitton outlet, kate spade handbags, coach outlet, true religion, nike shoes, michael kors outlet store, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, coach purses, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet online, coach outlet store online, coach outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, burberry outlet online, louis vuitton, red bottom shoes, christian louboutin outlet, burberry outlet online, longchamp outlet, longchamp handbags, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, nike free, oakley vault, jordan shoes, longchamp outlet online, kate spade outlet online, ray ban outlet, chanel handbags, cheap oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, prada outlet, tiffany and co jewelry, louis vuitton outlet online, nike air max, tiffany jewelry, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike air max, christian louboutin, michael kors outlet online, gucci handbags, polo ralph lauren

November 6, 2014 at 7:36 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, converse pas cher, louis vuitton pas cher, lululemon, nike free pas cher, true religion jeans, louis vuitton uk, mulberry, air max, ray ban uk, nike air force, true religion outlet, ray ban pas cher, timberland, longchamp pas cher, scarpe hogan, north face, guess pas cher, michael kors uk, north face pas cher, nike air max, barbour, chaussure louboutin, burberry pas cher, hollister, hollister, sac vanessa bruno, nike blazer pas cher, lacoste pas cher, sac michael kors, hermes pas cher, michael kors canada, nike free, vans pas cher, air max pas cher, nike roshe, nike roshe run, oakley pas cher, tn pas cher, new balance pas cher, nike air max, air jordan, longchamp, sac louis vuitton, ralph lauren, abercrombie and fitch, ralph lauren pas cher

November 6, 2014 at 7:37 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

roshe run, lululemon outlet, celine handbags, nfl jerseys, ugg, asics shoes, insanity workout, giuseppe zanotti, hollister, nike huarache, longchamp, ugg outlet, ugg soldes, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, mont blanc pens, babyliss pro, canada goose outlet, canada goose, p90x workout, ghd, instyler ionic styler, marc jacobs outlet, beats headphones, chi flat iron, vans outlet, jimmy choo shoes, ugg boots, birkin bag, soccer jerseys, ferragamo shoes, abercrombie and fitch, valentino shoes, mcm handbags, new balance outlet, mac cosmetics, reebok shoes, nike trainers, bottega veneta, soccer shoes, canada goose outlet, north face jackets, herve leger, wedding dresses, rolex watches, uggs on sale, north face outlet

November 6, 2014 at 7:38 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

timberland shoes, ugg, ralph lauren, supra shoes, wedding dress, parajumpers outlet, uggs canada, louboutin, converse, moncler, vans, canada goose, lancel, toms outlet, coach outlet, hollister canada, moncler, links of london uk, moncler outlet, swarovski jewelry, pandora uk, juicy couture outlet, karen millen, iphone 6 case, pandora charms, canada goose uk, hollister clothing, nike air max, ray ban, air max, gucci, montre femme, thomas sabo uk, canada goose, baseball bats, hollister, moncler, louis vuitton canada, pandora jewelry, canada goose pas cher, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, replica watches, swarovski uk, oakley, moncler, converse shoes

November 6, 2014 at 7:40 PM  
Blogger 小熊小熊 said...

ralph lauren home
coach outlet store online
polo bedding
christian louboutin shoes
soccer cleats
michael kors
marc jacobs
louis vuitton
coach outlet store online
coach outlet
burberry outlet
abercrombie outlet
gucci handbags
toms promo code
burberry sale
hollister kids
abercrombie and fitch
timberland outlet
michael kors handbags
coach outlet
timberland boots
coach factory outlet
louis vuitton uk outlet
jeremy scott adidas
true religion outlet
louboutin
fitflops
air jordan 8
louis vuitton
michael kors uk
ray ban glasses
michael kors outlet
louboutin femme pas cher
louis vuitton
cheap oakleys
20150724xiong

July 23, 2015 at 6:15 PM  
Blogger Junda Xu said...

20151019 junda
michael kors
coach canada
true religion outlet
ugg australia
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet online
coach factory outlet online
Michael Kors Outlet Real Handbags Online
Louis Vuitton Luxury Official Website
louis vuitton
michael kors handbags
michael kors outlet
Louis Vuitton Outlet USA
Buy Kobe Shoes Online Discount
Abercrombie T-Shirts
michael kors outlet
Mont Blanc Legend And Mountain Pen Discount
Coach Outlet Store Online Handbags Clearance
Ugg Boots,Ugg Boots Outlet,Ugg Outlet,Cheap Uggs,Uggs On Sale,Ugg Boots Clearance,Uggs For Women
ugg boots sale
coach outlet
Louis Vuitton Handbags Factory Store
ugg boots australia
cheap jordan shoes
Ralph Lauren Outlet Clothing
canada goose outlet online
true religion jeans
ray ban sunglasses
Hollister Clothes for Girls Website
michael kors outlet

October 19, 2015 at 12:25 AM  
Blogger ninest123 Ninest said...

ninest123 01.03
ugg boots, tiffany jewelry, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, gucci outlet, replica watches, jordan shoes, burberry, louboutin, louis vuitton, burberry outlet online, nike air max, christian louboutin outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, uggs on sale, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, longchamp, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co, ugg boots, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louboutin outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, michael kors, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin shoes

January 2, 2016 at 4:57 PM  
Blogger ninest123 Ninest said...

ralph lauren uk, nike trainers, michael kors, michael kors, nike air max, nike air max, lacoste pas cher, sac longchamp, burberry, air force, nike huarache, michael kors, ralph lauren pas cher, michael kors, ray ban uk, nike free run uk, nike free, nike blazer, ray ban pas cher, true religion outlet, abercrombie and fitch, timberland, mulberry, lululemon, oakley pas cher, north face, converse pas cher, true religion jeans, new balance pas cher, coach outlet, replica handbags, nike air max, louboutin pas cher, hollister, north face, hogan, longchamp, true religion jeans, nike roshe run, true religion jeans, hermes, nike roshe, vans pas cher, air jordan pas cher, air max, hollister pas cher, longchamp pas cher, vanessa bruno, coach purses, tn pas cher, sac guess

January 2, 2016 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger ninest123 Ninest said...

iphone 5s cases, babyliss, instyler, nike roshe, wedding dresses, chi flat iron, soccer jerseys, louboutin, hollister, iphone 6 cases, ray ban, mac cosmetics, vans, north face outlet, baseball bats, giuseppe zanotti, vans shoes, hollister, ghd, celine handbags, soccer shoes, mcm handbags, mont blanc, iphone 6s cases, north face outlet, oakley, abercrombie and fitch, iphone 6s plus cases, reebok shoes, iphone 6 plus cases, timberland boots, gucci, valentino shoes, herve leger, s5 cases, nfl jerseys, nike air max, ferragamo shoes, new balance, nike air max, converse, lululemon, bottega veneta, insanity workout, jimmy choo shoes, ralph lauren, iphone cases, beats by dre, p90x workout, ipad cases, birkin bag, asics running shoes

January 2, 2016 at 5:02 PM  
Blogger ninest123 Ninest said...

hollister, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, pandora jewelry, moncler, moncler, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, sac louis vuitton pas cher, thomas sabo, lancel, moncler, louis vuitton, canada goose, doudoune canada goose, ugg boots uk, moncler, supra shoes, converse outlet, canada goose, louis vuitton, moncler, pandora charms, doke gabbana outlet, wedding dresses, swarovski crystal, moncler outlet, karen millen, canada goose, canada goose outlet, marc jacobs, montre pas cher, barbour jackets, pandora jewelry, canada goose, canada goose outlet, moncler, toms shoes, moncler, barbour, pandora charms, ugg pas cher, bottes ugg, juicy couture outlet, juicy couture outlet, links of london, replica watches, canada goose uk, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, coach outlet, swarovski
ninest123 01.03

January 2, 2016 at 5:04 PM  
Blogger chenlina said...

chenlian20160318
longchamp handbags
coach outlet store
gucci belt
coach factorty outlet
asics shoes
cheap jordans
nike roshe run
polo ralph lauren
michael kors outlet
coach factory outlet
michael kors outlet online sale
coach outlet store online
louis vuitton purses
nike sb dunks
louis vuitton handbags
michael kors outlet
canada gooses outlet
nike blazers uk
fit flops
ugg boots
true religion outlet
kate spade
tods outlet online
ralph lauren
abercrombie & fitch new york
michael kors handbags
jordan 11
gucci handbags
canada goose outlet store
canada goose outlet
lebron 13
the north face outlet
ray ban sunglasses
longchamp outlet
michael kors outlet
giuseppe zanotti
toms wedges
prada outlet
true religion
nhl jerseys
as

March 17, 2016 at 1:12 AM  
Blogger xjd7410@gmail.com said...

kd 8 shoes
coach factory outlet
ralph lauren
ralph lauren outlet
michael kors outlet
cheap jordans
burberry handbags
tory burch shoes
pandora outlet
michael kors handbags
true religion sale
gucci handbags
coach outlet clearance
ray ban sunglasses uk
concords 11
adidas uk
cheap jerseys
ralph lauren outlet
true religion sale
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet online sale
lebron 11
louis vuitton
michael kors outlet clearance
ghd flat iron
cheap toms
nike air max uk
nike sb dunks
cheap air jordans
chenyingying2016723

July 22, 2016 at 7:40 PM  
Anonymous https://www.usacheckcashingstore.com/san-diego said...

Does the majority of this say these credits are awful for all circumstances? No, surely it doesn't. There are effective title credits handled ordinary where individuals utilize the quick money to bail themselves out of a budgetary crunch.

May 6, 2017 at 8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home